Saturday, March 5, 2016

Career Development Events

International Alumni Career Panel
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 from 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM, Humphrey 50B I Register here
As an international graduate students, securing a job in US could be challenging due to work authorization and other cultural factors. At this panel discussion, five distinguished alumni will discuss their current positions (tenured faculty with both industry and academia experience, industrial scientist, higher ed researcher & marketing vice president), describe their experiences in the career planning and job search processes, including important strategies to build their network and overcome work authorization limitations.

Effective Workplace Communication
Wednesday, March 9, 2016 from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM, Carlson 1-147 I Register here
International graduate students and postdocs face multiple challenges when hired at a U.S. workplace, including using their language skills for effective work performance, navigating U.S. cultural values with success, and adapting their communication style to fit a variety of professional contexts. This workshop is designed to help international graduate students and postdocs improve their professional communication skills for their job search and future job performance in non-academic environment.  Participants will learn an overview of the skills needed to be successful in the U.S. context for the purposes of networking, interviewing, and teamwork.

Resume/CV Clinic: Individual CV/Resumè Consultations
Monday March 21 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Humphrey 50B I Register here
Just in time for the 2016 Career Networking Event on April 1! Sign up for an individual consultation and critique of your CV/resumè. U of  MN consultants will be available to meet with you for an individual consultation to help you refine these important job search tools to make you more competitive in the job market.
These sessions are FREE, but you must register in advance. Space is limited.

From Idea to Action: How to Go from Concept to Company (Startup 101)
Monday Mar 28 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM, Blegen 150 I Register here
“I have an idea for a company; what should I do next?”
“I don’t have an idea, but I’d love to help someone else get going.”
“Who should I tell about my idea?”    
“How do I start a company while I’m a (really busy) student/postdoc?”
Converting ideas into a successful startup business may be an art, but there's also plenty of proven science in the process. This session will give you a set of tools and resources (on campus and beyond) you can use to develop a startup (or a new product).